As I pointed out in my previous post, Romans 13:1-7 also has massive implications for our national leaders precisely because it is the LORD God who sovereignly appoints and ordains “governing authorities” as the following verses from Romans 13 indicate:
Verse 1: “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God;”
Verse 2: “Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
Verse 4: “For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer.
Verse 6: “For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing.”
This post is mainly directed to the current President, Her Excellency, Mrs. Joyce Mtila Banda – and I hope that somehow this post will make its way to her. Here is my message to you Madam President:
- Seek First the Kingdom of God: “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33).
- Pursue the glory of God in everything you do: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).
- Pursue the fear of God (not man) in everything you do: “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight” (Proverbs 9:10).
- The LORD God honors those who honor Him: “…But now the LORD declares: ‘Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed” (1 Samuel 2:30).
- Pursue justice for the poor, orphans, widows and the oppressed: “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to dwell in” (Isaiah 58:10-12).
- Be Prepared to Take the Necessary Risks for the Greater Good and for the Glory of God: “For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this” (Esther 4:14)?
- Trust the Lord and Commit Your Ways to Him: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones” (Proverbs 3:5-8); “Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday” (Psalm 37:5-6).
- Be Still and Know That God is LORD: “Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! (Psalm 37:7); “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46:10)!
- Refrain From Anger: Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land” (Psalm 37:5-9).
- Be Strong and Courageous with God’s Word as Your Guide: “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6); “Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:6-9).
- Relax – The Battle is the LORD’s: “He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it (1 Thessalonians 5:24); “Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head. And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hand” (1 Samuel 17:45-47). “And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent” (Exodus 14:13-14).
- Walk Humbly with Your God: “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).
The LORD God delegates authority to “governing authorities” and appoints them to be his “servants/ministers” for one purpose: that He may be glorified! This means that all “governing authorities” must make a conscious effort and make sure that they are exercising their powers and responsibilities to the glory of God. I pray that your will dedicate yourself to this grand purpose as you carry out your responsibilities at the Fourth President of the Republic of Malawi!
May the Lord richly bless you – and may He bless the nation of Malawi!